Not so long ago, when one wanted to reminisce, they would pull out the family photo album and flip through pages. But, unless one is an avid "scrapper", which, I admit it, I am not, nowadays when we want to reconnect with our past, we pull up the I-photo albums and click through screens of pictures (which reminds me... how many of these are not currently backed up on the external hard drive?) And, since this is apparently going to be a post full of tangents, THAT reminds me of a recent conversation I had with my Dad and sister, about all those terms that we use today that weren't even heard of when I was in grade school, or high school, for that matter. Terms like, blogging, buffer, twitter, hulu, "I got poked on facebook"... and now, external hard drive. Sad thing is, if my Opa was still alive and he heard me use all of these phrases in one sentence, I would be destined to get my mouth washed out with soap, or, at very least, a lecture on how all the poor starving kids in Germany after the first World War would be so hungry they wouldn't even consider using such language, it would've been a waste of energy. Mind you, my Opa would have had a point. Albeit how innocent the words are by themselves (although that in itself is slightly debatable), put together, they definitely lose their shining halo of purity. Such as, "Did you buffer your hulu?" (My Dad and sister know this well), "Have you yet to be twittered, I got poked the other day?", and, I am sorry, but if I even attempt to combine "blog" and "external hard drive" in a sentence, I will have to repent.
And, so, a few weeks ago I was clicking through pictures on my Mac and realized that, while I had taken a lot of photos of my Oma (my favorite person who does not live with me, but I wouldn't mind one heck if she did) with my kids, I didn't have any of her and I together. So I asked my aunt Marilee (who is fabulous at taking pictures, by the way) to come by and snap a few of us. And, of course, Oma was more than thrilled, :) especially since I didn't tell her until it was too late for her to back down. (...the sarcasm I get from my father, the deceit and trickery on the other hand I whole-heartedly blame on my brothers.) I loved how they turned out though and thought I'd post a few of my favorites. Enjoy... and Oma, thanks for biting your tongue and letting me capture a moment with you. I love you!!!
3 comments:
Well said. And the pictures are great too. Technology is a great thing, but there is nothing like the personal connection with those care most for.
Those pictures are great! My most favorite things are the pictures I have of myself or my children with parents, grandparents, great-grandparents and even great-great grandparents. They are priceless.
PS I can't believe you blogged about your external hard drive. Gross.
Great Picture!
Post a Comment