Every summer Mike takes a group of kids to D.C. with the Close-Up Program, and this year I got to tag along with him (thanks to Grandma and Grandpa who watched our kids for us for 5 days, and a couple of aunts who let them come over and play.)
Once we got to D.C. the students were handed off to the Close-Up counselors and we spent our time mainly on the teacher program. We ended up having a really great time. I got to go with him two years ago, and in this trip we managed to see everything that I had wanted to see then, but didn't get a chance to before.
I thought I'd post just a few pics from our trip.

The Capitol Building. We actually got to sit on the House Floor, although pictures were prohibited. That was pretty awesome. Mike contacted Jeff Flake's office the morning we were headed out there and arranged a personal tour with one of his interns. If you ever plan on going out there, that is the best way to do it. It was just us and our guide, and I felt like we got to see so much more and not have to wait in any lines.

The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. The day we went to Arlington National Cemetery ended up being the hottest, most humid day of the entire trip, but it was well worth it. After we saw the changing of the guards, we also got to see another "ceremony" where a new wreath was presented at the tomb. Afterwards, one of the soldiers played Taps. It was amazingly quiet, except for his bugle. It was one of the most beautiful moments I have ever experienced.

The Marine Corps Memorial. Mike was especially thrilled to see this monument since he has recently read the book "Flags of Our Fathers", which tells the life accounts of each of the individual men portrayed in the monument. The memorial itself is enormous, and an amazing thing to see.

Even though we came home thoroughly exhausted and my legs swollen to twice their size, the trip was completely worth it.
Love you Mike!
Thanks for letting me hobble along with you all around D.C.
2 comments:
so exciting! So jealous! and the pics are gorgeous and love you both!
I am so jealous! That looks like an awesome trip.
Post a Comment