I have been thinking this morning about all those moments that I have had in my short, but tremendous existence where I have truly laughed that hard. Funny thing is though, I do not think my comical material would ever make it on a Saturday Night Live skit. So often what one thinks is hilarious, others just do not get... hence, the phrase, "you had to be there".
And so, here it is, those "top ten" memories I have recalled this morning which brought a good smile to my face but may leave you, the reader, more clueless than you were to begin with. (That is to say nothing about your intectual-ness, I find all of those lucky folk who deem to keep company with me very highly intelligent.)
(And, short side-note, these are just some random pictures of mine that bring a grin and enhance the look of this post. If you try to connect them with my soon disclosed "top ten" you'll really be in trouble, so just don't...)
#10 When I was in college and going to a singles ward I had two friends who were extremely taller than me, "extremely" being the operative word here, it really isn't that much of an accomplishment to just be taller than I am. They would often walk flanking me on either side, which drove me nuts, so I named them the "Salt Lake Temple steeples" in an effort to get them to keep their distance, but these guys were too much like my brothers and found great enjoyment in my predicament. Well, the name stuck and I had to suffer. I hadn't thought about that for a long time until just recently when I went to the movies with Jessica and Amy and offhandedly used the phrase. It's a blessing to me that others have patience with my bursting sarcasm.
#4 While Mike and I were still dating I invited him to come with my family and I up to Flagstaff for a day trip. We ended up going on a picnic in the mountains at the base of the Peaks. He, my sister Heidi and I decided to go walking around ( I am pretty sure my brothers were there too, but they weren't as devilishly relentless as Heidi and I), and we ended up talking about the "quirks of nature" that surrounded us. So I addressed the question of, "Why does moss only grow on the north side of pine trees?", to which Mike replied, "I think it has something to do with nature."I always knew I would marry a brilliant man.
Even now, as I type, I am rolling.
Mike is going to hate that I posted this, he thinks I should just let some things die.
#3 My kids and the ridiculously funny things they say and do. Colin has yet to learn that he has to finish his favorite phrase, "What the?!" or it just sounds bad. Zach has a new-found fondness for walking around with both fingers jammed up both nostrils. Emma, in exasperation of being bitten by mosquitoes one too many times, exclaimed, "I am tired of being sweet." And, Ches, who after monopolizing the conversation with fifteen minutes of entertaining run-on sentences and a teasing grin from me announced, "I do not talk too much!"
#3 My kids and the ridiculously funny things they say and do. Colin has yet to learn that he has to finish his favorite phrase, "What the?!" or it just sounds bad. Zach has a new-found fondness for walking around with both fingers jammed up both nostrils. Emma, in exasperation of being bitten by mosquitoes one too many times, exclaimed, "I am tired of being sweet." And, Ches, who after monopolizing the conversation with fifteen minutes of entertaining run-on sentences and a teasing grin from me announced, "I do not talk too much!"#2 When I was younger I used to like to try to punch my brothers in the stomach. Now, this wasn't mean in any sense, I am a weakling and they deserved it... most of the time. My brothers, though, found it very funny that I never once damaged them, even in the slightest, and considered it a great source of humor. Well, one day, when I was much older, I think my first year of college, I was hanging out with them at home and my younger (but much taller) brother Kris came in from the kitchen and started egging me on to give him a good punch. Me, oh glorious me, decided that this was the moment where I was going to prove them all wrong and do the damage I intended to do all along with my massively puny guns. So I swung back and threw a punch as hard as I could. Little did I know that Kris had stuck a frying pan under his shirt. (Although they all claimed that I should have gotten a clue from the handle that stuck out a little too far and the round shape encircling his belly. I swore I thought he was just shaped that way.) It hurt.
And, sadly, I didn't even hit hard enough to break my fingers.
#1 When Mike and I were dating he thought it would be a good idea to teach me some swing dancing. It was very popular at the time, and I already knew some basics that my brother Karl had taught me, so I was all game. We ended up practicing in the family room of his parents home, and we even watched "Swing Kids" in search of some inspiration. We practiced for a while and it was actually a lot of fun until a little of that inspiration hit Mike and he decided to try something new. Just a little word of advice to anyone who might be wanting to "try this at home", you might consider letting your dance partner know if you experience some brilliant stroke of genius. Mike decided that he was going to swing me under his leg as he kicked up and over, only he forgot to tell me to duck, and ended up kicking me square across the jaw. My brother Kris later drew up the scenario in comic form... it featured Mike, my one and only, with his leg in the air, watching my newly decapitated head fly across the room. I cannot remember the caption, but I am sure it said something like, "Mike, I never loved you more than I do right now."
And there you have it.
Here's a toast to all the good times yet to come, and many more days of uncontrollable laughter!
Have a great Thanksgiving and God Bless!
6 comments:
#8 - Correct, this is not funny... How the gaping abyss of unfuniness that surrounds this "joke" somehow translates into humor is beyond me... Reminds me of this joke from Dilbert:
"Why do women always go to the bathroom in pairs"
"Because, they're stapled to the chicken."
Although, Heidi and I did find a way to make that joke funny...
#2... The pan handle was not protruding out slightly too far... It was all the way out!!! If the pan handle and the shape of the pan under my shirt wasn't enough, perhaps the sarcastic tone in my voice or the look of horror when I realized you were really about to hit the stainless steel pan would have been sufficient!
#11 - This list just isn't complete without your "Houdini" hamster. I guess I'll need to do my own list.
Great list.
Love You,
Kris
I loved that post!
Amy,
Fantastic. I can't even tell which is my favorite. Although Mike starting a fire in a plastic bucket is awesome. You have made my Thanksgiving a little happier. Thanks,
Ryan
Amy I never laughed so hard, I was front row in most of those and tried to explain to Kevin your jokes. I was laughing too hard by the end at which he asked "now, when does it get funny?" making me laugh even harder.
Kristopher, Houdini hamster rights belong to me since I was the majic behind the curtain.
And seriously, Amy, the frying pan was so obvious I thought you were jokingly trying to punch him until you actually did it. It was as obvious as if he didn't have a shirt on and just said "punch me in my "stomach"" with a frying pan over it. Oh, you make me laugh.
Amy, you are a RIOT!! Love you
Hi Amy,
I can't wait to share my "Amy" stories. I think they will be much funnier than my blunders. I never knew the fireman said that to you. How rude. : ) Ha, ha. Thank you for the memorable memory's and the laughs. I am excited for Alan to read your version of my blunders. I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Lee-Anne
Post a Comment