Friday, September 4, 2009

Random, I Know, But Possibly Worth Reading...

So, I confess. I have never smoked anything in my entire life, well, that is, except for those bubblegum cigarettes that we used to buy for a quarter at the corner store when I was a kid, but since those were never lit, I believe they don't count. In fact, I have been too exposed to cancerous lung pictures to ever even be tempted. No desire, none. Zilch. Zero... That is, unless I'm dreaming.
I am a frequent smoker in my dreams. Now, I have already surmised why, or what it all means, but if you care to share your own two bits, I'll let you, be completely entertained by your interpretation, and then just stick with what I already know, I smoke in my dreams when I want an immediate release.
Another interesting thing, apparently I have a favorite brand. It is always the same taste, the same smell, and when I come near someone in real life who is actually smoking one of my dream cigarettes, I find the smell completely satisfying. All other brands turn my stomach. I have yet to get up the guts to ask one of these smokers what brand they are currently using, mainly because I have the distinct impression that the conversation would be doomed to awkwardness.
In my dreams, since I was in high school, I have never smoked anything other than that brand, until last night.
Apparently my dream cupboards in my dream house were all out of my dream brand, and in my frantic state to locate some, I checked behind the cinnamon in my spice cabinet. To my utter dreaming delight, I found something even better... a stash of cigars.
For the remainder of the night (my dreams are always long and extensive and complicated) I continued to smoke these cigars, and NOT in the way I have seen on TV that you are supposed to smoke these things. I smoked them like a Looney Toones Cartoon, deep and fast, and leaving a cigar-shaped tube of ash in it's wake.
Which leaves me to wonder, why the change, and why the urgency to inhale?
I have come up with a few ideas.
First, at some point at Book Club last night, unbeknownst to me, I had some creepy voo-doo spell cast upon me. If I had, I believe that either Amy or Kristina would be the most obvious culprits.
Second, Mike has switched his nightly, my-wife-doesn't-know-but-I-must-have fix, and I am just dreaming vicariously.
Third, I am more disturbed than I otherwise suspected.
Or, fourth, more likely, this move has been A LOT, vacation cannot come soon enough, and my poor little brain is craving some emotional release.

Which leads me to my next thought, what I have been thinking about all morning long.
My Father in Heaven.

The word fallback keeps creeping into my thoughts.
Is my faith my fallback?
Have I gotten into the habit of relying on my family and friends, seeking their companionship, their reassurance, their confidence in me first. Is Heavenly Father who I turn to only when everyone else is busy? Only when everyone else is not enough?
For my own sake, I know that this is not entirely true, but it has been, to some extent. So what do I do now? Well, switching to dream cigars cannot be a lasting solution. So I do what I've always done.
I start over.
I put Him first. When I am sad, I get on my knees before I call my sister. When I am lonely, I read His words before I log on to this computer and read my favorite blogs. When my thoughts are too much for me, I send them His way before I post them on facebook. When my walls are closing in, I go outside and find Him in His creations before I head off to a friends house. When I am craving love, I look for Him in the faces of those I serve, especially my children, before I fill up Mike's inbox with texts.
I believe that we don't realize that we do this. That we are daily missing out on the deeper relationship that He is waiting to give. Just because we have accidentally made Him our fallback.

6 comments:

Ryan and LeDawn said...

Very, very interesting... maybe there is a big change coming up? You pregnant again? And smoking... that is very odd. According to a dream site I frequently visit it says smoking means: "Smoking
To dream that you are smoking, indicates that you are trying to shield yourself and others against your emotions. You have trouble letting others in". MAybe... the switch to cigars is allowing yourself to let other in...?

"Cigarettes
To dream that you are smoking or offering a cigarette, signifies your need for a break. It may also points to issues of�dependency. However if you are against smoking and have this dream, you must analyze aspects of your waking life and what you are dong that may adversely affect your health."

"Cigar
To see or dream that you are smoking a cigar, represents luxury and a relaxed state of mind. You are in control of your own emotions and passions. According to Freud, a cigar is a phallic symbol and is representative of masculinity and raw energy. This dream symbol may also serve as a symbol for someone you know who smokes cigars."

Amy said...

I am seriously laughing right now. For so many reasons.

Kristina said...

I am more powerful than I thought. Could it have anything to do with stiffneckedness? Incidentally, I have smoked in my dreams too, but not as often as I breathe underwater. Sleep apnea maybe?

The Garbison family said...

Yikes, I needed this lesson, especially about NOT venting out my feelings on Facebook!!

I love it when you write like this. It is awesome.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the insight. You put into words so perfectly what I have been feeling.

Ryan and Shannon Rapier said...

Smoking in dreams is one thing. For whatever reason, I always dream I'm in physics class in high school when I suddenly realize I'm VERY pregnant! I start to wonder what in the world is going on? How could this have happened? Then in the back of my mind I remember Ryan and our family. Then I'm not embarrassed, just wondering why I'm in physics class at 33 years old. Analyze that! I loved your post-glad I'm not the only one with weird dreams!