Wednesday, July 28, 2010

One day. One birthday to celebrate. 34 things to accomplish.

This was my birthday "to-do" list. I tried my best to put a ton of "small" things on the list, and yet we still were exhausted trying to cram it all in. It did make for a great birthday though. I didn't want to spend more than $34.00 total (birthday gifts not included) and we actually came way under, mainly because I had gone onto a bunch of restaurant websites beforehand and signed up for free birthday menu items. Way fun. So yum. And no calorie counting all day long.



Best part of the day? Making everyone play all of my favorite games with me. (Except for Zach, that is, I had to play his favorite game, Break the Ice, which is actually quite fun, but very short-lived when you play it Zach-style.)
By the way, I never gloat.
:-)


Another "best part", coloring crazy pictures of my face.
They are enchanting, wouldn't you say?



The kids loved all the ice cream that day. I think Baskin Robbins has become their new favorite hangout. Chesley is strictly a peanut butter and chocolate kind of girl. (Along with Mike, he orders that flavor religiously.) Emma's got a sweet tooth (this pick was bubble gum, last time it was cotton candy). Colin has been on a sherbet kick, although I think it's the bright colors that appeal to him. (His pick, by far, was my favorite.) Zach gets whichever flavor he can find with blue or green in it. And me, I rotate between pistachio almond, coconut, and rocky road.



We headed to the dollar store the day before and picked up supplies to make the girls flower barrettes for their hair (and a book of word searches for me). I think the barrettes turned out bee-a-u-tiful!
(Mike decorated the house too! Behind me you can see one of the signs that he printed out. They were all over the house. A ton of compliments just for me, and a banner outside letting the whole neighborhood know that I was now 34. I have to say, I am lucky. I have myself a great guy.)



Mike did an amazing job on my birthday cake, don't you think? The raspberry coconut are my favorite Zingers. (It created quite the heat wave to have them all lit though...)
I have to give him credit too. He is always saying he is horrible at getting me gifts, but I wholeheartedly disagree. This year he got me the new Sarah McLachlan cd and the most beautiful pair of earrings. He and the kids also wrote "34 things we love about Mom" on slips of paper and Chesley decorated a jar to put them all in.
We also went shopping at Hobby Lobby for my last gifts. Flowers and shelves for our front room. I had been wanting them for forever and Hobby Lobby was having an amazing sale that weekend, and Mike knew I wanted to help pick them out since I have been eyeing them for so long. (I don't usually like to post my gifts, feels like bragging or what-have-you, but Mike deserves the kudos, and I knew he'd like to hear it. Love ya Mike!) By far though, my greatest gifts are all those people sitting by me around the kitchen table.




A complete blast! Chalk pictures and a water balloon fight!
After which, we came inside for a family movie night.
Zach didn't last long through the movie at all, maybe five minutes tops. It was late.

It was the perfect way to celebrate turning 34. I am amazed every day that Heaven gave me such a great crew to hang out with, to celebrate with, to live every day with.
Love ya guys!

3 comments:

Ryan and Shannon Rapier said...

Love this. Although Mike has now made me feel ashamed for all of my wife's birthdays over the years. This just looked like it was an awesome day. Happy 34th.

Sparks Haven said...

What a fun idea!!! So glad it was a happy day for you. :-)

Amy said...

What is your blog rated? I need to know before I post my comment.