Friday, January 16, 2009

Never Post When You're This Tired!


So, because I am exhausted, and apparently my bed is too far away, I have decided to use this preciously wasted time well by asking a question that has been driving me NUTS!

What on earth is the correct way to use the words, "yeah", "yea" and "ya"?

Seriously.

Which one means, "wahoo, that's awesome!"?
Which one indicates that you are in agreement with something that was just said?
And, am I just going crazy, or are there more of them and a whole other myriad of ways to use 'em?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

I guess I could check my dictionary...............

5 comments:

Lilly said...

Well, since you are asking the age old question. I will tell you what I think. "Yeah!" is the "Wahoo" spelling, "Yea!" is the "Wahoo" spelling too, annnnnnd "ya" is the "Yes" spelling. There now you can go to sleep.

Lee-Anne

Kris and Julie Bielefeldt Family said...

When it comes to the affirmative responses in question, the longer the spelling of the word, the greater the excitement attributed to the syllable. “Ya”, abounds with all the excitement of a Monday morning commute. With only two letters expended to spell this pathetic offering of accord, it signifies that the delivering party has barely the energy to type the minimal number of characters required. In fact, the same parties which have been known to frequently utter “Ya” have been active in contesting that “y” is sufficient and no vowels should be required. While “Yea” is a response with greater energy than the simple “Ya”, its use is currently only popular in circles frequented by circus performers, accountants, and Jell-O manufacturers. Yeah, is the only response with the “wahoo factor” of any of the three in question. It is the response that is appropriate to the questions “Would you like a free upgrade to first class?” “Can I have this dance?” and “Do these jeans make my butt look good?”

Kris.

By the way, Julie stole your love of the word Wahoo for her photography business. www.wahoophotos.com

The Garbison family said...

Yeah = yes
Yea = yay (wahoo!)
Ya = yes in Scandinavian countries :-)

Lilly said...

Hi Amy,

Just wanted to let you know that I have updated our blog after not updating for a long time. Take a peek when you have time.

Lee-Anne

Hanne said...

This is a question I often ponder when I'm sending text messages!!!!