Saturday, March 5, 2011

October Break of Last Year

October Break came around and we found ourselves with little money, and a newborn baby, and an intense desire to have an adventure. So, we packed up the canopy, the camping chairs, and a days worth of food and games and headed over to Papago Park. It ended up being a terrific day, and we couldn't have escaped the world to a better place.

Hiking Hole-In-The-Rock. We are terribly proud that the girls now outnumber the boys in our family. Colin says we need to get a boy pet to make it even.


The kids had a ton of fun making bridges, floating things down the "river", and "accidentally" falling into the water.


Never saw three better looking men!


The kids loved hiking around. I remember being a kid there and thinking that Hole-In-The-Rock was SO huge. It was a treat to see them get completely excited over all the same things. Here Chesley and Emma found a Queen's Throne to pose in.
Zach thought he was beyond amazing! Look at those big steps that kid was climbing all by himself. Total superhero.
And Colin, of course, was in his natural habitat. I'm sure he'd love Uncle Kris to take him to some better rocks someday. He's got a knack for climbing things.



We took a jaunt over to the outskirts of the Phoenix Zoo for a minute. We saw a ton of places to explore and a good number of animals, just around the entrance, without having to pay any admission. Plus we got this WAY CUTE photo. Totally.



Who knew that fishing out trash from a man-made lake could be so much fun?



If you look closely in this picture you will notice that Zach is completely devoid of clothes and wrapped in a baby blanket. He got soaked to the chin after his second "accidental" encounter with the lake, and his clothes are drying out on the table behind us. He and I passed the time playing his three-year-old-version of Skip-Bo... I couldn't explain the rules to you if I wanted to, but he definitely won.



Ethne survived the day, heat and all. In fact, she was only a few weeks old, so this was how she spent most of her days anyway.



Completely loving these full-of-life kids of mine!



And, in praise to MY man, I have to say how lucky I am that I got to marry a guy who would camp out at a park all day long with his family and come home saying it was one of the our best days ever. What made it so great is that it was us, being us. I love good days like this!

No comments: